There’s never been a better time to get involved in the digital signage game. The solutions have become more powerful, costs have come down and it’s easier than ever to make it a part of your line card.
If you’re just getting started, we have a lot of content on our pro AV resource center to put you on the right path and help you make digital signage your next revenue generator. Apart from selecting the right hardware, there’s another critical piece to a digital signage solution that you can’t overlook—managing the content.
The benefits of cloud-based CMS
Today, most digital signage solutions rely on a cloud-based content management system (CMS) to deliver content to the displays. Being cloud-based, there are many benefits:
- For customers, there’s a lower initial investment as servers and other infrastructure required for an on-premises CMS aren’t needed.
- Cloud CMSs also boast easier installations and can be managed remotely.
- For customers seeking to service multiple locations, a cloud CMS can be updated once and all locations receive the update.
- The burden of securing the system and data is offloaded to the software vendor.
- The benefits aren’t only for customers. As a solution provider, you stand to earn monthly recurring revenue from each installation of the cloud CMSs you sell.
3 cloud CMS considerations
There aren’t many true downsides to cloud CMSs. In fact, there are only considerations. For instance, there’s a perception that a cloud-based CMS is reliant on the internet. This is true to an extent. While the CMS will need an active internet connection to process content updates, every modern CMS solution caches content at the signage level. In the event of a communication disruption, content will continue to be displayed, uninterrupted.
While most customers appreciate the monthly payments, there are, of course, some customers who would rather just pay for the system outright.
If your customer wishes to display sensitive information or is in a heavily regulated industry, a cloud-based system might not meet security requirements. If security and control over the reliability is of the utmost concern, an onsite CMS implementation will be the way to go.
As you can see, a cloud CMS is one reason digital signage is easier than ever. If you’re ready to make this a part of your line card, but aren’t sure how to get started, contact your Ingram Micro rep or Tom Jones. As a technology consultant in the pro AV group, Jones is a pro AV subject matter expert and has years of experience in enabling partners to succeed.